Yield: 10-12 servings
1 each Spinach Feta Bread, Round (Boule) Loaf
½ lb. Bacon
1 each Small White Onion, ¼" dice
10 oz. bag Fresh Spinach Leaves, washed (Frozen may be used, drain well) 14 oz. can Whole Artichoke Hearts, drained
½ tsp. Table or Kosher Salt
½ tsp. Ground Black Pepper
2 tbsp. Flour
1 cup Half & Half or Milk
2 tbsp. Lemon Juice
1 tbsp. Dijon Mustard
½ cup Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
1 cup Gruyere Cheese, shredded
Method of Preparation:
- Pour the mixture into the boule, top with bacon and serve immediately accompanied by the bread cubes.
- Using a serrated knife, carefully cut a 1 -1½ inch thick horizontal slice from the top of the Bread loaf, to create a flat round top about 6-8 inches in diameter.
- Carefully remove the middle of the loaf by cutting or scooping it out to create a bowl, and dice the bread that you removed into large cubes for dipping.
- Cut the bacon strips into 1 inch pieces and cook the bacon in a large skillet until crisp. Remove it bacon to paper towel to drain, reserving 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat in the pan.
- Add the onion and cook over medium heat until the onion becomes translucent and softens slightly.
- Add the spinach and artichoke hearts and cook, turning occasionally until the spinach is wilted.
- Stir in flour. Stir in the remaining ingredients except for the bacon, and heat until cheese is melted.
- Once the cheese is melted, pour the mixture into a food processor and/or blender and pulse on low speed 2-3 times to break up the large pieces of spinach.